Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saturday Centus #24~The Haunting

I am linking to Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus. It is a themed writing meme. You can use UP to 100 words (not including the prompt) to tell your story. You cannot use pictures to illustrate your story. It can be fact or fiction.

http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/10/saturday-centus-trick-or-treat.html

This week’s prompt is:  “Trick or Treat!” They shouted as the door opened.




Lucy curled on her side as the nurse straightened her blankets.

“I wish the dear lord would come and take me home. Got nobody left to care. What’s the use?” Lucy grumbled.

A faint knock came from the partially closed door.

“Oh now Miss Lucy, you have plenty of friends here. Why you have visitors now!”

Lucy perked up, eyes sparkling with unshed tears.

“Trick or Treat!” They shouted as the door opened. In popped a little Fairy and Batman.

"Who are you?" Lucy asked

“I’m your Fairy great granddaughter” the small child boasted.

“And I’m Batman. I’m here to rescue you, because she’s too little to fly.”

                                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Holidays always seem to keep us busy. I hope everyone will take the time to remember our elderly shut-ins. You will be one some day. You wouldn't want to be forgotten would you?~Ames

16 comments:

Kat said...

This was a sweet take on the prompt, and a wonderful reminder to us all. Nicely done! Kat

gautami tripathy said...

So sweet and refreshing!

within the pages

Deborah said...

Oh this is just so lovely ... lovely, lovely!!

jfb57 said...

How lovely! such a great take on the prompt!

Sue said...

Really, really nice. I liked it!

=)

Jackie said...

Thats true. I bet old folks would love to get trick or treaters .

Viki said...

This was so sweet. I see when little kids come to the nursing home, the residents get such a kick out of kids when they come. Great job.

RockiBottom said...

I LOVED THIS!!! Wonderful job! You just made my day a little brighter and a little sweeter too.

5thsister said...

"I'm here to rescue you because she's too little to fly"

My favorite line so far!

Terra said...

Very lovely indeed. It is hard to be lonely sometimes...

Tgoette said...

What a sweet and tender story, Ames! A great contribution to this weeks SC! Well done!

noexcuses said...

Lovely story. Kids have a way of reminding us how wonderful they are!

RawknRobynsGoneBlogWild said...

What a touching reminder of what and who's important. Nice job, Ames.
xoRobyn

Tina said...

ah that is so nice, and like a sweet little fairytale story

Tina from Mummy Diaries

cj Schlottman said...

This is one of the sweetest takes I have read on this prompt. It's not only sweet but very well written. I could see the wee ones in their costumes - and what must have been the look on Lucy's face.

Great centus..........cj

Jenny said...

Darn. This made me cry. It made me think of all the years my sister was in a nursing home. Each year I would concoct a costume for her and help her do the Halloween parade.

Pushing her wheelchair slowly through the hall she would beam in her long blonde wig and red lipstick or whatever I had concocted for her that week.

I have stayed away from taking my Grands to the nursing home for several years having been alone at her bedside when she finally passed away there...but now I suspect it might be time to take the girls there again.

Nothing makes the residents happier than little children spreading joy and possibilities throughout the halls.

Thank you.

This story really touched me.