Thursday, October 21, 2010

“E” is for Epitaph

Alphabe~Thursday "E" is for Epitaph.
Today I am participating in Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday. This Thursday is about the letter "E".






“E” is for Epitaph, those final last words that are read, by all those who visit you long after you’re dead.

Some words give a summary of a journey through life, while others take eternal jabs at their poor deceased wife.

A woman I am, a final say I must have, I won’t leave a wound, then use death as a salve.






Just plant me a tree at the foot of my grave,to provide a cool respite underneath of its shade.




No tombstone for me just a bench etched with wit,

lending aid to all who visit, by providing somewhere to sit.




 While contemplating my life, you may acknowledge with a nod, that I am truly dead and “The pea is not in the pod”

This bench upon my epitaph you sit is one last attempt at me expressing my wit.

No your visit was not wasted, so do not despair, I can still look down from heaven and see that you care.

Come sit on my bench and remember me, while you enjoy the shade cast down from my tree.



A tree filled with melody from the little birds that sing,

like me you’ll enjoy “The sweetness of doing nothing”

~~~ 
Some Famous and Not So Famous Epitaphs




George Bernard Shaw

(died 1950)

"Well, it will be a new experience anyway."

"I told you I was sick."


"Here Lies Good Old Fred, A Great Big Rock Fell On His Head"

 ~~~



Matthew Mudd

(unknown) from Massachusetts:
"Here lies Matthew Mudd,

Death did him no hurt;

When alive he was only Mudd,

But now he's only dirt."

~~~

"Blimey it's darker than I thought in here."

~~~


Here Lies My Longtime Wife. Now that she's gone, I'm lovin' life!

~~~

Here Lies My Wife, I Bid Her Goodbye. She Rests in Peace, and Now So Do I.

~~~

“La dolcezza di non fare nulla” -The Sweetness of Doing Nothing.

~~~

Mel Blanc (by himself)1908 - 1989

"That's all, folks!"





 






14 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

love it! What fun!

mub said...

I like the bench idea!

Some of those are really horrible though... horrible in that "these are so bad I really can't help but laugh" type of way ;)

magsmcc said...

I feel I must point out that Santa is actually buried here in Ireland- the bones of St Nicholas having been rescued from threatened political instability at his resting places and brought many Eons ago to Jerpoint Abbey outside Kilkenny. But yes, alas, he is dead!

Judie said...

Hahaha! I have seen the one about Fred. This was a good idea for a post.

Red Couch Recipes said...

Some great epitaphs you have here, but my favorite was the Santa's tombstone with the little child crying! Very funny! Great E post. Joni

Lourie said...

I love the bench idea. I also laughed at the Santa one. So bad. hahaha

CCC said...

I hope they put on mine "Work is a good thing." That would be my final words of wisdom to those who know me or those that are walking through the old cemetary just looking at the stones. Not to clever, but important.

Annesphamily said...

I love these but I want to add one "Love leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leave a memory no one can steal. From a headstone in Ireland Love the post! Anne

Jackie said...

I enthusiastically enjoyed your post about Epitaths ! This was very well done. Thank you

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

That was funny. I was expecting something morbid. Not so. First shot is so funny in a really mean way! :)

Mary said...

Too funny!! The Santa Claus headstone makes me want to wail too :-)

Viki said...

Great choice for the letter E. I liked the last two the most.

Sue said...

Great idea with the epitaphs.

=)

Jenny said...

Love this post!

I have always enjoyed visiting historic cemeteries and reading the epitaphs! OK, I'm weird, I guess.

Reading the ones you shared was fascinating to me.

Thanks for linking this wonderful post to Alphabe-Thursday.

A+