Thursday, October 7, 2010

Alphabe~Thursday "C" is for Crane

Today I am participating in Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday. This Thursday is about the letter "C".



Sandhill cranes are such a lovely creatures. I think one of the things that make them so beautiful to me is that they mate for life. They come to our yard as a family to forage in our grass and they take turns feeding their young, called colts. Their colts learn to fly by dancing and running along side their parents. It is so funny to watch, and momma is never too far away.

Sandhill cranes make the loudest trill I have heard coming from a bird. They walk through our neighborhood and actually stop traffic. One time my husband and I were were driving south and came upon a bunch if police cars blocking one lane of the boulevard. Someone had hit a baby colt with their car and the momma and daddy Sandhill cranes were standing over it making the most mournful screech I have ever heard. It was so sad. My husband and I couldn't bare to look at such a sorrowful scene, so we just cried in silence. We do that a lot now. Especially where animals are concerned. These birds are highly revered and protected so much that killing one can cause a public outrage. Whether or not it was done on purpose or by accident. And it always makes the paper, as though one were writing out an obituary.

The view from our porch is very entertaining at times, all hours of the day and night. Sometimes it's yellow finches and red Cardinals fighting for the special food I put in the bird feeder. Such a pretty sight. And sometimes a big beautiful Osprey or Hawk will stop by and sit on a branch in the tree, eyeballing the ground for something interesting to eat. Lately it's been a couple of turtles sunning on the bank of the little pond.

In the evening before the sun goes down, a family of racoon's might truck on by. The little ones stopping to investigate and play. One night I saw a shadowy figure in the yard. I flipped on the light to investigate and saw the ugliest Opossum I've ever seen. And of course there are the occasional Armadillos too. Pesky little buggers they are, digging burrows in my flower garden. Why they can ruin a foundation or an in ground pool if not taken care of. Between us, and our neighbors on either side, we paid $300.00 to have one caught, removed and released back in the wild somewhere else. He was a sneaky little bugger. It took three weeks to catch him.

Sometimes it's not only difficult to catch pesky critters, but dangerous too. I once saw an alligator thrashing about in the pond and warned my neighbor to keep her little white fluffy Bichon Frise dogs inside. Gators love little dogs. The Wildlife Officer and Game Trapper took out a 6'2 inch gator that day. And wouldn't you know, we've had the occasional snake or two as well. Yuck! I usually let the good ones keep on slithering by. But it's the bad one's that give me the heebie jeebies!

I'm sitting here on my porch this morning. The weather is lovely, my chimes are tinkling in the wind, and I am enjoying my morning coffee with a piping hot bowl of oatmeal made from steel cut oats, topped with brown sugar, butter and raisins. Yum! I love sitting out here. We haven't been able to use our porch the entire summer as it has been too hot and humid.


So, here I sit, unocular and camera by my side. Anxious to seize the moment. There's always Heron's, Egrets, Falcon's, Ibises, Storks and Cranes to be seen. This morning my visitor was a beautiful Great White Egret. They are so funny to watch. They stand perfectly still while stalking their prey, and wobble and sway when they mosey away. Like an old drunk. I can't ever imagine these beautiful birds being killed, so that their plumage could be used to decorate hats. I would  rather appreciate their beauty from a distance in the wild, than from on top of someone's head.

20 comments:

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This pictures are amazing. Cranes are such elegant creatures.

Tracy said...

this was a truly lovely blog.Thank you

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

We have sandhill cranes here too and I love seeing them. They are elegant and goofy at the same time, like giraffes!

Thanks for sharing the photos..

magsmcc said...

Just dropping in from the suburbs of Belfast- what an amazing post! The only cranes we see here are called Samson and Goliath!!

Jackie said...

Awww lovely post Ames! It sounds and feels beautiful where you were this morning . ya if a dog got eaten or killed by an alligator i'd be pissed and sad about it too . But you two have a lot of heart to cry over that baby bird on the road.

CCC said...

My dad always talked about having roast goose for Christmas dinner and one year when we raised geese we butchered one and cooked it Christmas day. It had a mate that cried all day and no one could eat the lovely roast bird. We never did that again.

My heart always breaks for the mama cows who loose a baby too. Sometimes they stand and protect the little dead bodies for days. I love how they babysit other calves too. I just like cows.

edenhills said...

What a great post! I found it fascinating to read. Coming from the Heartland, I don't see a lot of waterfowl.

Teresa

Ames said...

CCC: Mom and dad bought each one of us girls a colored chick for Easter one year. Come one Sunday when the grandparents always came out to the house for dinner, my dad killed our pet chickens and mom fried them up. My mamaw Lena was so upset with my father (her son) for killing them, that she refused to eat the platter of chicken mom set on the table. So no one ate chicken. And mom and dad were in the dog house with mamaw! I'll never forget that.~Ames

mle said...

What a heart felt post & beautiful pictures!!
I don't get as exotic a variety of animals as you do {and I think I'm ok with that!}, but I truly enjoy the few that we get!

Julienne said...

This letter C just gets sadder by the minute. I wonder why we think that animals and birds don't get as emotional as people? Apparently it is only in the last thirty years that some scientists admitted that animals feel pain!!!!!!
The rest of your post was delightful thank you for filling me in on American wildlife.

Deb said...

Gosh the story about the Sandhill Cranes is very sad but your view is amazing. What a great spot to have your coffee!

Mary said...

We're lucky to be visited by Herons on a regular basis, such a joy to watch, they are funny & patient fishermen. Enjoy the birds & your porch now that the weather is comfortable :-)

Viki said...

Sounds like an interesting and entertaining menagerie of things you have to look at from your porch.

sarah said...

what a beautiful thursday post! thanks for sharing! sounds like you just might live in heaven! well minus the alligators and snakes of course!.... blessings....s...

Brenda said...

Wonderful pictures and a great narrative to go with them.

Judie said...

Someone hit a baby bobcat crossing a major street in our neighborhood. The mother and the two other babies were so distraught! I cried all the way home!

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

I so enjoyed the narrative about the Sandhills Cranes. Great photos, too. Thanks for visiting my Letter C on Computerin In Texas...Sue

Pondside said...

What a wonderful place you have! I've never seen a Sandhill Crane, and knew nothing about their habits, so found this very interesting!

Jenny said...

What a beautiful post about such magnificent birds.

I got to the oatmeal part, though, and realized I'm starving...9:30 am and no breakfast yet.

Thanks for the lovely post. I never knew that they mated for life...I think I admire them even more for that.

Thank you for linking to Alphabe-Thursday.

I always enjoy my stop here.

A+

Christy said...

What a beautiful post about cranes - I agree that why in the world would we kill a living thing so we can decorate ourselves???