Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday Centus #19 ~ Holding My Breath

I am participating in Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus #19. It  is a themed writing meme. You can use UP to 100 words (not including the prompt) to tell your story. It can be fact or fiction. The prompt is in bold.


                                           Holding My Breath


The muffled thud from my gear bag hitting the floor was no distraction. Still in her night gown, comforting, shielding our four year old daughter. Her little head tucked into her mommy’s neck. I approached her in silence. I stood frozen in front of the flickering images on my TV. An airplane flies into a Tower. Smoke, fire and chaos. Horrible images with heart wrenching sounds. As the Tower began to lean and drop I sucked in a deep breath, for all of them. She reached out and squeezed my hand. ”Is this the end?” she asked softly. And I realized I was still holding my breath. ~ Ames

10 comments:

Sue said...

In a way, we're still holding our breath.

Well done.

=)

CCC said...

Yes, well done.

Cheryl said...

Holding our breaths has become a normal way of living since 9/11.

Bookie said...

A good image, holding the breath...and like Sue, we still are. Yesterday I commented aloud I wondered if "anything" would happen during the day.

Viki said...

Very poignant. Good job.

Jenners said...

Well done. This was a difficult prompt but I like how you wrote it.

Lourie said...

I am with everyone else. Very well written.

Jenny said...

Ames. This was magnificent.

I found myself incredibly moved by this post.

I've been overtaken by the weepies quite a few times reading the week 19 links. Such a feeling of sadness and community all rolled into one innocuous phrase.

Thank you for linking.

Tina said...

I felt the terror there in your story. watching the images is horrible and I cant imagine what it was like for those poor people in the tower :(

Anna said...

'Holding My Breath' is such a good title for this. It was a good thing that Mrs. Matlock put the T.V. in the prompt. We can only write as outside observers. What is must have been like to walk/march/stagger down all of those stairs trying to get out without knowing for sure that you were going to make it. Or for those who were too far up to get down in time...

Your post is scary enough!

Thank you for visiting my post and for your kind concern for my friend Sylvia. JFC gave me a link to CNN's list of victims. I read the entire list and happily (for me at least) I did not find her name, nor anyone else that I knew personally.

But by reading these tributes, I found many whom I wish that I had known. Many fascinating as well as normal everyday individuals perished that day.

I think I may have to write an extra post (outside of any meme) about this.

Best wishes,
Anna

For the benefit of oither readers:
Anna's SC-Remembering 9/11