Saturday, September 18, 2010

Quick and Easy Mexican Wedding Cookies

Here I am putzing around the house on a Saturday afternoon. The husband is gone, fishing on the river with our son-in-law, and I am snackish for something sweet. So, I'm having one of those WWMD (what would momma do?) moments.

We never had store bought cakes, cookies, or pies growing up. Mom always made ours from scratch. I think I may have kept this recipe from when I was in 4-H. It's quick and easy. These cookies are light and fluffy and just the right amount of sweetness to satisfy the taste buds.

Quick and Easy Mexican Wedding Cookies

1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
1 cup powdered sugar

*Optional:
~ You can substitute any extract flavor you like. I did half and half almond and vanilla.
~ You can also add finely chopped nuts if you prefer.

Beat butter and granulated sugar together until creamy. Add the flour and extract next. Using a spoon, scoop out a small amount and roll it in to a ball about 1 inch in diameter. This recipe should make about 2 dozen cookies if you stay consistent with the size. Mine always come out larger only because I want them NOW!

Place rolled cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack for a minute or two, then roll in powdered sugar. I always roll mine once, let them cool even longer, then roll them again. Just because I like a lot of sugar coating on mine. Enjoy! ~Ames


4 comments:

ain't for city gals said...

How easy could it be?? i am making them tomorrow..

Ames said...

Let me know how you liked them.~Ames

Deb said...

I haven't made those in years. Yum! Thanks for reminding me.

CCC said...

Are you sure? They sound way to easy.