Thursday, September 23, 2010

Alphabe-Thursday ~ "A" is for Ammonia

Today I am participating in Jenny Matlock’s Alphabe~Thursday. She is starting round 2 with the letter “A”. My post is about “Ammonia”.


Ammonia


When I was a child, I made the stupid mistake of cleaning the family bathroom so well that my father made it my regular chore. Did I tell you that I hate cleaning bathrooms? As a mother, I always made my daughter do this dreaded chore. When my daughter left home, I hired a cleaning woman. Now that I’m retired, I am back to either doing it myself (bleah) or bribing my husband with some kind of dessert if he will do it.


When I decided to participate in Alphabe~Thursday, the first word that started with “A” that came into my mind was “Ammonia”. I think of Ammonia as an old fashioned household cleaner. It is a very versatile cleaner. Mom always kept a bottle of it in the bathroom linen closet alongside other strange cleaners. As a child, while trying to clean the cast iron tub in our bathroom, I made the almost tragic mistake of mixing a well known name brand of powdered cleaner with liquid ammonia. I nearly killed myself. It created this huge toxic cloud of Chloramine gas. My father had to set up a fan to air out our entire house. It is truly amazing that I managed to make it to adulthood!~Ames

http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/09/alphabe-thursday.html

12 comments:

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I have trouble getting past the smell. It is so horrible.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Some people are touring the Biltmore today. I don't arrive until tomorow night. We went on our honeymoon and they had decorated for Christmas it was beautiful.

Terra said...

a scent that sticks with ya eh! Love it.

signed...bkm said...

Well you obviously we a very good child...cleaning the bathroom....how many children actually would do that....great post...love your Psalm of the Day....nice...bkm

Viki said...

I don't think I've ever used ammonia. Although I would imagine it would probably do a good job in the bathroom. Probably a better job than the store bought cleaners.

Jen said...

Ammonia is so super strong...that alone is toxic to me..but it does clean good!
I wish I could get my children to clean the bathroom....I'm afraid they'd just make a bigger mess!

Deb said...

Oh my! That can be dangerous. Speaking of cleaning bathrooms...that's what I will be doing tomorrow, I can't wait:(

Ames said...

You like cake?? You can come clean mine for cake. You know...will work for cake??? LOL

CCC said...

Well, I for one, am glad you made it.

RawknRobynsGoneBlogWild said...

It is scary how these basic household cleaners can be so toxic. Somehow, though, this was a fun post. Be well, Ames.
xoRobyn

Splendid Little Stars said...

oh my! ammonia--yeach! glad you're still alive!

Jenny said...

Hi! Your link didn't work for me, so I will fix it on the Linky site.

Ammonia brings back a lot of memories. Man, I can remember that burn clear through my sinuses when you open a bottle of that stuff.

Thanks for the memory. I think I'll stick with my Murphy's Oil Soap!

A